Founded in 1928, FhG-HHI is one of the leading laboratories worldwide with emphasis on InP-based discrete photonic components and photonic integrated circuits (PIC), as well as polymer-based planar lightwave circuits (PLCs) and hybrid PICs. In 2002 HHI became a member of the Fraunhofer Society, which focuses on applied research of direct utility to private and public enterprises and of wide benefit to society. In its Photonics Components (PC) department, HHI has successfully developed a wide range of photonic devices such as high-speed lasers and photodetectors, in many cases in close cooperation with domestic and foreign SMEs.
Role in the project
In the TERAWAY project, three R&D groups from the Photonics Components department of FhG-HHI are involved: will be involved: 1. the Hybrid PICs group, 2. The Terahertz Sensors and Systems group and 3. the Photonic InP Foundry group.
FhG-HHI is leading WP3 and is the key partner for the development of the polymer- and InP-based photonic components for the Tx and Rx modules, as well as the hybrid integration of the different optochips.